22.11.12

Artistic Statement

I am a performer, director, writer and clown. I make, direct and produce work that explores popular entertainment forms and questions the entertainment value of performance and live art. My aim is to make live art and performance accessible to those who are not interested in it. My work often exists in non-traditional spaces like pubs, clubs and cabaret venues but more recently I’ve been working in art centres and attempting to get non-performance / theatre going audiences to access these spaces.


Since 2008 I have been focusing on work as both a performer and director. I started by creating short pieces of performance for cabaret nights, and to date I have a roster of 11 pieces that experiment with magic, surprise, my physicality and character. In 2008 I started monthly performance night ‘Eat Your Heart Out’. By 2010 I had turned the night into a collective and received two grants from Arts Council England to develop our projects; this led to our first full length production, Violence, at Riverside Studios in 2011.

I am currently an associate artist with performance company Duckie after completing their ‘Artist in Residence’ program in early 2010. I continue to be a Duckie collaborator and devised and performed in their Christmas 2011 production of "Copyright Christmas’ at Barbican as well as 'Weekend at Wiltons' in summer 2012. This year I was also commissioned to curate an ongoing variety project ‘Camp’ for Roundhouse and directed Amy Lamé’s new solo show ‘Unhappy Birthday'.

Most recently my work has focused on digital outputs and audience engagement. I explored this during AND Festival in summer 2012 with a web-only film titled ‘Follow’ which charted my success in becoming famous on Twitter. This year I was also commissioned by Jacksons Lane to develop ‘Party Piece’, a variety show solely based on audience participation. I currently produce and present a monthly podcast, ‘Fifteen Minutes’, that quizzes people from light entertainment on their practice. I am currently planning my 3rd annual beauty pageant for fat people ‘Burger Queen’ at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern.

No comments: