20.11.11

We are not even half way through the run of Violence and already our bodies are falling apart but I don't think EYHO have ever been stronger. The bruises on my body feel symbolic in my cabaret journey to date - from 2008 in Bethnal Green Working Mens Club as a place for me to develop new material and be abit mouthy to a collective run not-for-profit in 2011 that still has the same ethos and pushes new work by artists of all capabilities and ages on the same stage with the same platform to vent their ideas.

People have strong opinions of EYHO, sometimes bad or sometimes good, which is a great thing - to leave people feeling something, be it distaste or enthused is better than leaving them content. More importantly, the crux of this blog is why I hate this pressure that we are supposed to, as 'artists' comply with - anyone who comes, especially industry folk must love it. Here is the bigger picture I have my eye on here, brace yourself - it doesn't really matter. In presenting Violence I've realised I don't give a shit what Joe Bloggs from So and So theatre thinks of me or my gang. Lets make the work, present the ideas, show your stance and if the 'they' don't like it then they don't like it, they cannot kill you or demand you for better work, they just won't book you and in the end does So and So theatre really matter? No. I'm interested in real people who live in real houses who are not watching your work thinking how they would have done it better. I'm excited by Mum's who have never seen anything like this, 17 year olds sneaking in and saying they are over 18, middle age men who picked up Time Out and stayed til the end.

Now before this sounds like a scorned woman, the show has been recieved really well but both critic and punter so I have nowt to moan about but this idea that everyone will love your work is silly.

I've been really excited to see that groups of students turning up to EYHO shows, on one hand this is abit annoying as this could mark our future as a Forced Ents set up but on another I remember seeing Shunts 'Dance Bear Dance' and having the doors of my brain kicked open to what performance can and should do, the same doors that opened last night to Luton's A level finest.

I'm overjoyed with Violence and the performers involved. I think its a bold and brave production for a neo-variety company to present that looks into a world of personal, political and parental violence without slapping you in the face with the 'issues'. As one drama student was heard saying '..its full of cliches' - without which we would have no anchor points in culture and those dreaded words .. post modernism. As I revel in my cliches here in a hot bubble bath in my council flat with painted nails listening to the Beautiful South, here is a lovely tweet from a punter...

Just back from a most moving performance art piece. 'Violence' at Riverside Studios was like Sunkist on a hot day in the 90's. Refreshing.

Violence runs until 26th November at Riverside Studios - More info here

Have your say on Time Out theatre - http://www.timeout.com/london/theatre/event/92053/violence 

Images from our dress rehearsal by Darrell Berry. X
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments: